Sunday, September 25, 2011

Hard Choices

Image source: www.writeclickscrapbook.com
Neither of my parents finished high school, but they are both avid-readers and life-long learners. When I was growing up, they would challenge us to pick a poem and have it memorized by dinner. I fell in love with William Blake, because of his loveliness, and now I realize, because many of his poems are only four lines.

I could pick a different favorite every day of the year. A dozen of Mary Oliver's, twice that of Emily Dickinson. The Invitation by Oriah Mountain Dreamer. Mother to Son by Langston Hughes. Hopkins and Woodsworth and Galway Kinnell. Cummings and Yeats and William Stafford. Now I know why I posted this challenge: so I'd have an excuse to peruse our shelf of poetry and reread all the dog-earred favorites.

I know I just snuck ten poems into the above paragraph, but I'll only take up a bit more space with this one, an old and today's favorite, by Wendell Berry.

The Peace of Wild Things

When despair for the world grows in me
and I wake in the night at the least sound
in fear of what my life and my children's lives may be,
I go and lie down where the wood drake
rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
I come into the peace of wild things
who do not tax their lives with forethought
of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
And I feel above me the day-blind stars
waiting with their light. For a time
I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.

4 comments:

CeCe said...

Thanks Deirdre, for a morning of good poetry. A great start to my day :)

Min said...

I have some catching up to do...is there a book/collection of poetry that is your favorite?

Deirdre said...

CeCe---still waiting to read one from you!

Mindy, lots of favorite anthologies: Garrison Keillor's Good Poems is full of just that, good poems. I recently gifted a friend a collection called She Walks in Beauty, that has most of my favorites. Robert Pinskey edited a collection called America's Favorite Poems, also good.

I'm thinking of organizing a "Moab's Favorite Poems" reading for National Poetry Month in April...let me know if any of you are interested!

Karen said...

i love this poem!! thank you so much for sharing it! i'd never heard it before.